All of the craziness with none of the wait!

June 8, 2011

Rest in Pieces Redd

It's crazy how the smallest comment will set you off. I was on FB and noticed a friend comment that she'll be on vacation next week, but won't have her car... then proceeded to complain about how hard it would be to not have a car all week. Then her 11 year old son (also on FB - gonna rant about that soon!!) comments something like "yeah thats gonna suck". Hey, kid, you know what sucks even harder? Not having a car for SEVEN months! I know, I have beaten that horse to death, but I need to get this out once and for all. Really I am just at the point where I have zero sympathy for people that don't have a car for a few days. I totally grew up taking the bus places when there wasn't a car, and if there was one out here in podunk, I would use it!

So that car comment got me thinking about my long-gone car "Redd", which made me think of my Abuelo's (who gave it to me), which just made me sad and mad. I hated that car. It was like 2 steps below the base line model (what car doesn't come with cruise control?!) and it was that "Hey, Cop, I'm over here!" Red color that only guys in their 50's choose for their mid-life crisis "Por-shuh". But it had no payments. It was NEW (299 miles) when it came to me and IT.WAS.MINE. It was my reward for all of the bullsh!t drama I put up with putting myself through school, the late night studying, the extra long work hours, having two jobs and having to *gasp* move back in with my mother just to finish school. Getting the car was like a little sigh of relief, the one thing I didn't have to worry about. It was, symbolically, a pat on the back and a "We are proud of you!" statement from my Abuelo's. And now all that is gone. It's not doing anyone any good for me to keep complaining about not having the car anymore. So I'm going to make a conscious effort to stop. What's done is done, and I've not been dealing with it well. But whining doesn't help and it's starting to make ME crazy, so with this post, I'm letting you go, Redd. Thanks for all the trips, for always starting up when I needed you to, for always having cold or warm air for me, and for the great gas mileage. I'm truly sorry I didn't appreciate you more. R.I.P.
Me & Redd on Day 1. The extra "D" was the only extra this car had. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment